 Off-Topic / Debate / 18961
18960  |  18962
Subject:
Future Speech Text of George W. Bush?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:28:10 GMT

THE PRESIDENT:  Good morning.  As I speak to you
America's men and women in uniform, and our British allies, are
fighting for security, peace and freedom in the Persian Gulf.
They're doing an outstanding job, showing bravery and skill, making
our country proud.  Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Putting our troops in harm's way is the hardest decision
any President faces.  I believe our action in Iraq clearly is in
America's interest.  Never again can we allow Saddam Hussein to
develop nuclear weapons, poison gas, biological weapons, or missiles
to deliver them.  He has used such terrible weapons before against
soldiers, against his neighbors, against civilians.  And if left
unchecked, he'll use them again.

For seven and a half years, United Nations weapons
inspectors did a truly remarkable job in forcing Saddam to disclose
and destroy weapons he insisted he did not have.  But over the past
year Saddam repeatedly has blocked their efforts.  Each time with
intensive diplomacy backed by the threat of force, we compelled him
to back down.

Last month, when he agreed to fully cooperate, I
cancelled an American military action.  But I, along with Prime
Minister Tony Blair of Great Britain, made it absolutely clear that
if he did not fully cooperate we would have no choice but to act
without further negotiation or warning.

For three weeks, the U.N. inspectors tested Saddam's
commitment.  He failed the test, hindering and preventing
inspections, withholding and destroying documents.  As their Chairman
concluded, the inspectors can no longer do their vital job.  Under
these circumstances, had we failed to respond it would have given
Saddam a green light to rebuild his arsenal and threaten his
neighbors.

I acted quickly because, as my military advisors
stressed, the longer we waited, the more time Saddam would have to
disperse his forces and protect his arsenal.  Our mission is clear:
to degrade Saddam's capacity to develop and deliver weapons of mass
destruction, and threaten the region.  Based on reports from the
Secretary of Defense, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, and the CIA
Director, I believe the mission is going well.

Now, where do we go from here?  Our long-term strategy
is clear.  First, we stand ready to use force again if Saddam takes
threatening action such as seeking to reconstitute his weapons of
mass destruction, menacing his neighbors or his own Kurdish citizens,
or challenging allied aircraft.

If you are having deja vu all over again, it is because that was a portion of a
speech given by President Clinton on December 19, 1998.

What I would like is for someone to explain why this action was fine for
Clinton but outrageous for President Bush, or is it that the Left is just a
bunch of partisan, self-serving hypocrites.

JOHN