 Off-Topic / Debate / 18338
    Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian anymore... —John Neal
   (...) I think you have it backwards, Dave! None of the above would claim to be unbiased-- they are honest and open about their conservative leanings. It's the print media, the networks, public radio who disingenuously pass themselves off as "fair (...) (22 years ago, 24-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian anymore... —Dave Schuler
   (...) You're injecting another issue into the discussion, which I will address in a moment. In any case, let's consider what you're saying: You're claiming that conservative talking heads can't be called demagogues as long as they are open about (...) (22 years ago, 25-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian anymore... —Pedro Silva
     (...) Rome vs. Carthage, the three Punic Wars. The third was pure force, resulting in the total anihilation of Carthage (even in physical terms) and enslavement of the surviving carthaginians. That is, in fact, a permanent solution. Question is, is (...) (22 years ago, 25-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian anymore... —Erik Olson
     Read of the end of Carthage: (URL) skip the last paragraph where Scipio compares Carthage to Troy. Innumerable wars have ended with complete annihilation of the enemy. The world is littered with dead cities, dead languages, untraceable peoples. The (...) (22 years ago, 25-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Carthage —Pedro Silva
     (...) One could compare it to a much more present situation :-) (funny how History repeats itself over and over again) (...) Are you sure that so many wars ended that way? From my own experience, I think it's a lot more common that the "losers" of (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Carthage —Erik Olson
     (...) That might be more common. Could ask the Statistics of Deadly Quarrels research folks about the majority. So maybe not so many whole civilizations, but certainly city-states and isolated population centers. Philip II at Thebes. Alexander at (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Carthage —Pedro Silva
     (...) Fair enough :-) (...) That is true, although it does not tell us what happened to the slaves *in time*: did their descendents eventually gain citizenship? Were they assimilated? The city state, having been overrun, was it rebuilt? Did the (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Carthage —Erik Olson
     (...) Who knows? But there are not too many identifiable folk who have not assimilated. That nobody really understands precisely what a helot was, is one demonstration. I know of a story of one annihilated city whose survivors petitioned their (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

         Re: Carthage —Pedro Silva
     (...) I recall a NG documentary where the explorers dug a basement in Jericho (sp?), and found an almost complete arsenal of human arms since Ancient Times to 1947 Independance war of Israel. In *a single* basement... so I can understand what you (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian anymore... —John Neal
   (...) I think we can agree that wackos come in all favors. (...) I am not for silencing criticism, but I think that insults are not necessary. How about *constuctive* criticism-- that's what I'd like. (...) I don't watch TV, much less own cable, so (...) (22 years ago, 26-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian anymore... —Dave Schuler
   (...) I agree 100%. But the problem is that conservatives in general (and, honestly, you in particular, in OT.debate at least) tend to castigate liberal commentators for doing exactly the same things for which conservative commentators are lauded. (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)