 Off-Topic / Debate / 17937
Re: Idealism vs Realism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:33:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:
I am refering to the majority of Americans.  I get the impression that they
are comfortable so they do not care.

No truer words were ever written.

The North American Game Preserve -- replete with X-Box, 17" flatscreens,
downloaded porn, the boat in the drive, the BMW-Mercedes-whathaveyou parked
behind it, a room full of lego...

...hey, that could be my house!

=)

Well I was thinking:
privileges = lavish consumer goods and services, false sense of security, etc.
principles = civil rights, rule of law, basic freedom, etc.
See what I do not understand, is why (referencing your previous example) a
massive public outcry over civil liberties did not take place.  It just boggles
my mind that this sort of thing happens on American soil and the majority of
Americans seemingly do not care.

The cause of considerable disappointment on my part also.  When signing "The
Declaration of Independence" Ben Franklin is said to have remarked, "We must
indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

I don't really feel like twisting in the wind on my lonesome...even Brian
had company when they crucified him.

http://www.geocities.com/fang_club/Bright_side_of_life.html

Are we laughing or crying?

-- Hop-Frog