 Off-Topic / Debate / 17901
Re: Idealism vs Realism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 15:06:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:
http://www.creators.com/opinion_show.cfm?next=2&ColumnsName=tso

Hmmm, I mostly disagreed -- that just seemed very pointlessly judgmental.  I
think there are *some* of the ivory tower types that the author suggests,
but they are certainly of less concern than people in the privileged Bush
mold.

I don't know that they are of less concern but rather at the oppisite end of
the spectrum. I was more concerned with the discription than the conclusions
the author drew.

Being privileged because of education is not that same as being
privileged because of actual economic/political power -- thanks, dad!

One of the author's underlying assumptions is that we are going after the
correct targets for the 911 attack on the U.S. -- which I think is false.  I
am not big on fighting in foreign lands, but if we were to go after the
people responsible shouldn't we be following the money trail back to Saudi
Arabia?

Plus, I can hardly look at U.S. foreign policy with much of anything but
disgust.

Here, look at this:

1. Country A has guns, Country B has guns, Country C has none.
2. Country A has the bomb, Country B has the bomb, Country C has guns.
3. Country A has weapons of mass destruction (hell, they practically
invented them!), Country B has weapons of mass destruction, Country C has • guns.
4. Country C tries to become a "player." Countries A and B form a union of
countries calling for the economic sequestration of Country C.  If Country C
does not stop trying to become a "player" it may mean war.

Fair or unfair?

And I didn't even mention oil or how I think Iraq has done nothing as
compared to the kind of stuff we are likely to see from China soon enough.
Well, unless we allow them to become a "player" and/or our economic
equal/superior.  Hey, there's a 1/4 of the world's population over there
needing our goods and services and they aren't even that choosy -- they'll
eat rat at KFC!

Cha-ching!

Do you think an IMF puppet will look good propped up as *president* in the
forbidden city?

It's not about countries or political ideology -- that's just PR for the
peons to wring their hands over.

It's about money/real estate/oil/gold/diamonds/database entries and power.

-- Hop-Frog

Well I have the silly notion that the United Nations should eliminate all
dictorships by any means neccessary[1] for the long term good of the world.

[1] I have an extreme preference to liberation and educating (without
brainwashing) the people currently living under dictatorships.  Although I know
I personally would rather be dead than live under the slavery of a totalitarian
government.  Then again I also actually know what freedom is (as opposed to
most of the people living in any Arab country.)

-Mike Petrucelli