 Off-Topic / Debate / 17906
Re: Idealism vs Realism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 02:39:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:
Then again I also actually know what freedom is (as opposed to
most of the people living in any Arab country.)

That's an egregiously qualified freedom at best, right? The fact that it is
worse for others doesn't make your/our situation any better; it is only
better by comparison.

-- Hop-frog

Maybe I am mis-reading you hear (or maybe you mis-read me.)

Last time I checked, if I publicly announce I do not like my government
'leaders', I will not be publicly executed later that day.  However that is
standard in most Arab countries.  The very act of sharing ideas and discussing
them (what we are doing right now) is forbidden, the Government tells you what
to think.  Now, while the US has some civil liberty problems I would say we are
no where near as oppressed as those living in Arab countries.

(Was I totally off base here or were you acctually arguing that point?)

-Mike (slightly baffled) Petrucelli