 Off-Topic / Debate / 17304
  Re: Be careful what you ask for in case you actually get it (was: slight)

  Re: Be careful what you ask for in case you actually get it (was: slight)

(...) out (...) Yes, I understand. I suppose I was using a short-hand description. My bad. I think we all know and understand what you're asserting. And it's still wrong. It seems that you are suggesting that the nature of "a god" is to (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Be careful what you ask for in case you actually get it (was: slight)

(...) Forgetting about the nature of my particular chosen religion, and *my* God therein, the question before us is, 'Can *something* exist outside of science?' The idea that I have a faith in an infinite God is inconsequential. The thought that (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Be careful what you ask for in case you actually get it (was: slight)

(...) Since you cast aspersions on Chris' reading comprehension in (URL) is inexcusable that you should fail to read his subsequent post correctly. He is not questioning the "reasons" for your assertion; he's questioning the "reasoning" for it. Can (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Be careful what you ask for in case you actually get it (was: slight)

(...) Faulty thinking and faulty assumptions again. Your having faith is an observable phenomenon that can be studied. Science would not deny that existence of your *having* faith -- it might study the chemical or physical reasons that you maintain (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Be careful what you ask for in case you actually get it (was: slight)

(...) And I mention to you, Dave! right now, that questioning 'the reasoning for the assertion' instead of the 'reasons' for it, makes my point *even* more clear-- If I were to ask: Is black, black? I have my reasons for saying that this should be (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Be careful what you ask for in case you actually get it (was: slight)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti writes: <snip> (...) That about sums it up for me, as well. Nicely said. Dave K. (22 years ago, 18-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Be careful what you ask for in case you actually get it (was: slight)

(...) This was kind of a sub-point that you took the wrong way. Instead of discussing the stuff that stems from that, I'd like to restate slightly. It seems when you claim that to some that science is a god _because_ those people assert that science (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Be careful what you ask for in case you actually get it (was: slight)

(This is a very interesting thread to follow, imo :) something isn't right here: (...) no, C1 will only follow if P1 said: P1: Science can explain only the physical universe. Which is not the claim that was made, I believe. I'm not sure what would (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Be careful what you ask for in case you actually get it (was: slight)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks writes: <snip> (...) <snip> People 'make gods' to explain things. I think that's a pretty much historically accurate statement. Not *all* people 'make up' gods--some folks don't have any gods, and (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Be careful what you ask for in case you actually get it (was: slight)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Koudys writes: <snip> (...) <snip> (...) Oops, talk about getting distracted at work--my God exists *for me*, whether you believe it or not--was a stupid omission, not a malicious one. Dave K. (22 years ago, 18-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Be careful what you ask for in case you actually get it (was: slight)

(...) I am not sure how to take this statement. Are you accepting Aristotlean methods as the chief utility of scientific thought and all rational inquiry, or are you somehow thinking that you go from "I don't know" to asserting the existence of your (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Be careful what you ask for in case you actually get it (was: slight)

(...) Start passing out the cigars. I may not know all the principles that Aristotle laid out, but if it's based on the concept that" Quoteth Hop-Frog " (...) " summed up into " (...) " I'm on the same page. Whether we disagree that I have always (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)