 Off-Topic / Debate / 17321
Re: Be careful what you ask for in case you actually get it (was: slight)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 18:49:51 GMT

That about sums it up for me, as well.  Nicely said.

I am not sure how to take this statement.  Are you accepting Aristotlean
methods as the chief utility of scientific thought and all rational inquiry,
or are you somehow thinking that you go from "I don't know" to asserting the
existence of your Xtian god? If the former, well good for you -- welcome to
modern western culture; if the latter, you are still not getting it...

-- Hop-Frog

Start passing out the cigars.  I may not know all the principles that
Aristotle laid out, but if it's based on the concept that"

Quoteth Hop-Frog

"
the idea that "I don't know" is the way
to begin the understanding of anything.  What I do know encompasses few
things, what "I don't know" encompasses a good deal greater number of
things. Starting from the standpoint of "I don't know" -- then studying
phenomena with a great deal of skepticism and the refusal to accept things
not evidenced -- will get you a good deal farther than any known alternative.
"

summed up into

"
Aristotlean
methods as the chief utility of scientific thought and all rational inquiry
the realm of rational inquiry as the chief utility of scientific thought
"

I'm on the same page.

Whether we disagree that I have always been on the same page due to
misunderstandings or poorly worded and ambiguous, and sometimes even
erronous, statements, seems, to me anyway, just rehashing.

Once more, a fray into the night...

Scientific methodologies are a valid and, so far, the best way shown to date
in which we can better understand the physical universe.

Dave K.