 Off-Topic / Debate / 17304
Re: Be careful what you ask for in case you actually get it (was: slight)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:13:27 GMT

<snip>

DaveK, I think it's interesting which things you chose to reiterate beyond
count.  1) that you think it's OK for all of us to believe whatever we
believe,  2) that something (God, for one) is beyond the scope of science, 3)
that you love science, 4) that science is a god, etc.   And really, none of it
is useful.

<snip>

4) Science isn't a god.  Nor a religion.  The reasons why have been pointed out
repeatedly.  It is tiresom and damaging to the conversation at hand to keep
having this thrown out.

<snip>

And that point is tiresome for me to point out again, and again, and again,
but I will, because pointing out the truth, as people here may agree--is the
right thing to do.

The *truth* is *I* never said that science *is* a god.  I stated, and do so
again, that I offered the following conclusion:

"For those that say *nothing* exists *outside* science--that science can
tell us *everything*--believe science is a god."

It's basic english.  Anybody with comprehensional skills of the english
language can see that the above line does *not* in fact, say, "I (Dave K)
believe science is a god"

And if we can't get that much straightened out, well, then, it's a whole
different ball game--people are either being deliberately obtuse, or we're
going to go into Reading Comprehension 101.

Dave K.