 Off-Topic / Debate / 17305
Re: Be careful what you ask for in case you actually get it (was: slight)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 12:55:14 GMT

4) Science isn't a god.  Nor a religion.  The reasons why have been pointed • out
repeatedly.  It is tiresom and damaging to the conversation at hand to keep
having this thrown out.

"For those that say *nothing* exists *outside* science--that science can
tell us *everything*--believe science is a god."

Yes, I understand.  I suppose I was using a short-hand description.  My bad.  I
think we all know and understand what you're asserting.  And it's still wrong.

It seems that you are suggesting that the nature of "a god" is to
"tell...*everything*?"  Or at least that that is one facet of godhood.  Yet,
the god you follow doesn't do that.  So I'm left not clearly understanding the
reasoning behind your assertion.

Further, I think I'm the most adamant (in this venue) about the powers of
science, and I've never claimed that "science can tell us *everything*."
Merely that science is the only rational method of exploration of any
phenomena.

And you haven't addressed how that might be wrong.

So if I haven't said what you claim _someone_ thinks, then who does?  Which
people are you talking about for whom scienc is a god?  (Please don't say
"those that say nothing exists outside science" or "that science can
tell us everything" because that would be a circular reference.  Name a name.

thanks,

Chris