 Off-Topic / Debate / 16512
  Hosed?

In January of this year I purchased a used '98 Ford Contour from a local dealership. The purchase package included a much-touted 100-point inspection and an assortment of various guarantees and coverages. To date, I've had no mechanical (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) Unless "checking that the automobile has the right sized tires" is one of the 100 check items, I think that you are hosed in that respect. But they did sell you a car with improper tires, which obviously are not simply interchangable (the worn (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message news:GwzCEv.KLL@lugnet.com... (...) One assumes you can find out the correct size of tyre for the vehicle? Surely in the manual? At least then you would know who was lying, Sears or the Ford (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

Dave! You are SO hosed, my hundreds of $$$ poorer clone brick friend. Did you get Sears' assertion in writing? I am not a lawyer -- but as for confronting the dealership, the only advice I can give that may help is to assert to them that you will (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

What were the exact tire sizes? A 1998 Ford Contour is listed as having either 185/70-14 or 195/65-14 tires as original equipment. A 1998 Ford Contour SE had 205/60-15 tires as original equipment. John (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) That's not the last resort...or are you assuming that he already offered to sign the guy up for knee surgery? Chris (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) I was thinking of having his name stricken from the Book of Life, or perhaps arranging a blight on his loins, but I wanted to hear what he had so say first. I'll see about posting a followup once I've "discussed" it with the gentleman. Dave! (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) hehe Oh, you're talking about the last last resort;-) -John (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) You can *do* that??? (Gotta be the power of the "!" I guess...) -John (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) I've been eyeing that service over at www.bookoflife.com but four grand per year seems a little steep for my current budget. Chris (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

Much depends on their 100 point inspection, guarentees, and coverage. A used car comes with any modifications the previous owner may have made, including ill-choice of tires (caveat emptor). With a dealership, they may or may not be responsible for (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) The wear on the struts should be visible. If so, take pictures of the wear, find out what the *documented* OEM tire size for the vehicle is, (assuming this all supports the assertion that you were sold a car with the wrong tires) write the (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, the following was written by Dave! (...) Another angle from the NLS, who heard the story from me in the car and so may have missed several gory details: The folks at Sears should not have gone ahead and changed all four (...) (22 years ago, 31-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) What is this -- a joke?! I, for one, would like to state for the record that Maggie uses foul language as others might use paint or clay -- with her word choices she creates huge, complex obscenities that border on being "art." When her words (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Hosed?

Ever since then I've had four tires setting in my overlarge parking stall behind my apartment. There hasn't been any problem keeping them there; my landlady is cool about stuff like that as long as it's not loud or smelly, but I've lately had it in (...) (21 years ago, 23-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) Wet/Dry shop vac? Lay them flat and leave them out in the sun to bake the water out? (21 years ago, 23-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Hosed?

(...) Give children new, hard-to-clean clothes and let them play in the area? James (21 years ago, 23-May-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)