 Off-Topic / Debate / 15846
Re: Urantia?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:40:37 GMT

I did, of course, find the first link of my own before posing the request.
Some dead links detracted from the experience there -- at least their
central texts links were down when I visited last night.

I figured that you would at least have seen the main site, of course, but
it seemed a good place to start!

The second link you provided is a little less than unbiased, don't you think?

A little?  Nah!  8^)

Still, I was hoping for something in between.

Unfortunately, a quick run around the 'net doesn't return much other than
decidedly pro- and decidedly anti- stuff.  Not much of a luke-warm
phenomenon, apparently.

Perhaps I'll go see if the primary texts are back up again...

I read through most of Paper 100 but haven't had a chance to review much
else.  Unfortunately, it seems to me to be the familiar "grow-from-within"
and "let-everyone-achieve-his-own-enlightenment" stuff popular among New
Agers these days, ie: well-ploughed and not especially original or
insightful (of course, I haven't reviewed many of the texts, so who knows
what the others hold?)  Not my cup of tea, but perhaps others may find
something of use.

I should back pedal on my earlier Scientology comparison, which in
retrospect was unfair; Urantia seems up front with its tenets and publishes
a considerable amount of literature online, whereas Scientology (which, by
the way, I would never assert to be a nutty, derivative, and money-grabbing
pyramid scheme) protects its secrets with vigorous litigation and all sorts
of, shall we say, creative applications of copyright law.  At least Urantia
seems happy to reveal its views in the light of day.

I thought what is happening in France would add to your comments:

Scientologists face Paris ban
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1836000/1836812.stm

Scientology: "an essentially commercial enterprise," which offered members
"the illusory promise of revival" in their lives.

"The methods of Scientology, its deceitful promises of results which call
for large donations of money, amount to a form of mental manipulation,"

Scott A

    Dave!