 Off-Topic / Debate / 15841
Re: Urantia?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 14:22:51 GMT

Does anyone have essentially unbiased, yet informed, knowledge about a
branch of Christianity called Urantia?

I'd appreciate anything anyone cares to share on the subject.  I am
genuinely curious and I promise not to bite the hand that feeds me this info.

  I've only ever heard of it in passing.  The official site is
www.urantia.org and features an overview of the doctrines and history of
that belief system, as well as an extensive discussion of "The Urantia
Book," an anthology of teachings alleged to have been imparted by
supernatural entities.  I browsed the bits on cosmogony and universal
organization, and it sound superficially like several other "alien
consciousness" sects, though I haven't had the chance to delve much more
deeply than that.  Here's a tiny excerpt:

Page 359  (of The Urantia Book)
Salvington, the headquarters of Nebadon, is situated at the exact energy-mass
center of the local universe. But your local universe is not a single
astronomic system, though a large system does exist at its physical center.

For my $.02, I'm always a little leery of belief systems that invest too
much faith in curiously science-fictional beings, a la Scientology,
Raelianism, and the like.

  But you asked for an unbiased source, and I imagine the flagship site of
the church is no more impartial than www.Dave_Schuler_is_Awesome.com would
be, so I would also suggest http://www.skepdic.com/urantia.html  This site,
skepdic.com is a fantastic resource for those hoping to expose fantastical
matters to critical thought and, while it's not unbiased, it is quite
rational.  Of course, one of the snippets I read on urantia.org stated
outright that matters of God and true faith are not affected by "mere
intellectual logic," so the trump card is played in the opening hand!

  Anyway, I hope this provides a starting point.

     Dave!