 Off-Topic / Debate / 15853
15852  |  15854
Subject:
scientology conspiracy in Hollywood (was Re: Urantia?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:49:20 GMT

Scientologists face Paris ban
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1836000/1836812.stm

Interesting article.  For me the most salient part was:
"The trial, the first to be heard under tough new anti-cult legislation, was
brought by three former Scientology members who accuse the organisation of
harassing them after they had left."

It seems to me that having "anti-cult" legislation doesn't really protect
freedom of religion or individual beliefs very well -- but I guess the
French should do as pleases them best.  I can't imagine why the matter
cannot be pursued utilizing only criminal laws concerning harassment -- that
should be sufficient for keeping overzealous Scientologists from going
overboard on people.  I don't see the need for legislation that deprives
others of their freedoms.

I’m afraid I don’t know enough about French culture/legislation to really
answer your point. But you appear to be inferring that this could never
happen in the USA? Could the scientologists not just be labelled
“un-American” and then a witch hunt could get underway? Perhaps the
scientology conspiracy in Hollywood could be exposed and the members
blacklisted? ;-)

Scott A

=+=
Have you inspected Arthur’s Seat yet?
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=scotta

"A reasonable man adapts himself to suit his environment. An unreasonable
man persists in attempting to adapt his environment to suit himself.
Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." (GBS)
=+=

-- Hop-Frog