 Off-Topic / Debate / 15851
Re: Urantia?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:38:46 GMT

Scientologists face Paris ban
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1836000/1836812.stm

Interesting article.  For me the most salient part was:
"The trial, the first to be heard under tough new anti-cult legislation, was
brought by three former Scientology members who accuse the organisation of
harassing them after they had left."

It seems to me that having "anti-cult" legislation doesn't really protect
freedom of religion or individual beliefs very well -- but I guess the
French should do as pleases them best.  I can't imagine why the matter
cannot be pursued utilizing only criminal laws concerning harassment -- that
should be sufficient for keeping overzealous Scientologists from going
overboard on people.  I don't see the need for legislation that deprives
others of their freedoms.

-- Hop-Frog