 Off-Topic / Debate / 15850
Re: Pay per mile in UK?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:37:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Simon Bennett writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
Seem to recall some debate a while ago about privatising roads - here's a link
at The Observer:

http://www.observer.co.uk/politics/story/0,6903,656107,00.html

I wanna know how much it's gonna cost to make sure all vehicles have a "black
box", and how often they're gonna sample. There's an awful lot of vehicles in
UK...

It is a LT proposal (10 years).

By that do you mean London Transport? 'cos it isn't actually one of ours.  I
can explain the differences between Transport for London and London
Transport and Road User Charging and Congestion Charging if you'd like.

I meant "Long Term". It is actually a "ET" (Edinburgh Transport) system.
David Begg is (was?) an Edinburgh councillor (as well as being a
transportation expert).

I expect that *if* it goes ahead, the
technology (based on GPS) will be fitted to new cars. In 10 years, I expect
GPS will be almost standard and cheap anyhow(?).

Scott A

ROSCO

No-one's going to force me to screw anything to the dash of my 1971 Vauxhall
Viscount, nor the 1948 Bentley MkVI I will eventually own. If they want to
pick up classics they'll have to come up with a unit that you can fit
without damaging a car.

A satellite dish on the roof will do no damage to the dash!

On the whole though I think it's a good idea, as long as they do get rid of
road tax and petrol duty.

Scott A
(former Vauxhall Viva driver who is happy with high fuel costs)