 Off-Topic / Debate / 15334
15333  |  15335
Subject:
Reiterating my thoughts on the Avatar issue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 20:16:39 GMT

I'm sorry I've posted outside the origninal thread but there are now far too
many posts that I'd like to respond to and this seems like the most painless
way to do so.

Thanks to everyone who has seen my post for what it was.

I think there have been some great ideas on how to possibly address this
problem.

Chris Maddison brought up an important issue about the Edit feature.  But I
also don't feel like people throwing a bunch of stuff on their gallery is a
real problem (by the way Chris I actually enjoyed seeing all of those MOCs)
as this generally only happens once over about a 30 minute period.  Its not
a continuous stream of the same image.

Jude Beaudin has an excellent point about not making brickshelf too
compartmentalized.  I'm all for having an option to choose whether or not to
add something to the Recents page but not at the expense of losing the
varied content.  Just because I'm a .spacer doesn't mean I don't like Town,
Castle, Train, Technic creations etc.

To those who would try to spin my opinion about the Avatar images into a
sweeping statement that I just hate Bionicle and hate the Bionicle
community:

Calm down.

I have never said I dislike Bionicle.  Never.  For people to grab that
notion from my post is so incredibly reactionist and predictable.  I'll say
it again.  I like Bionicle. (Especially the Turagas)  I even have a few
Turaga MOCs in my Brickshelf gallery.  I enjoy selling the masks to people
who need them to fill out there collection.  I look forward to the new
Bohroks coming out because they look like they have some useful parts.

What I *have* said is:
I do not like Avatar drawings filling up BrickShelf.

This is my opinion.  I never said it was anything more.  I made my post to
start a discussion and see if others felt the same way.  To be honset as far
as I'm concerned the discussion has gone *exactly* in the direction I
thought it would. There have been some who agreed with me and some who
haven't.  Thats great! Thats what makes life interesting. Also, like any
issue of this nature I imagined there would be plenty of rational,
thoughtful posts by people who wanted to contribute in a constructive
manner.  I also knew that there would be a few people who would blow my post
waaay out of proportion and completely miss the main issue.

Thats about it.

-Jon