 Off-Topic / Debate / 14785
Re: Conspiracy theories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 23:05:06 GMT

I know, I know.  "Of course they're going to deny it--that's how you know
it's true."

You're right that such thinking is predicated on a logical fallacy, but that
doesn't make assertions on either side true or false on that basis alone.

And I found your "snopes" site to be no more reliable (plenty of asserted
*truth* there, lots of pointless flag waving too) than the site noted by
Larry, but I admit that its sources are more widely accepted as reputable.
If you really think about it -- that doesn't mean much in the long run, and
that's not really how anyone is going to get at the truth of matters.  Our
news media is more or less socially progressive, fiscally conservative, and
ultimately owned by the NSC, very large multinational corporations, and very
definitely has a bias (I am sure you have heard Letterman joke about it --
do you really disbelieve it?).  There is no true "right" or "left" media --
just some wishy-washy in between creature owned by the aforementioned interests.

BTW, if the govt. gets its hand caught in the cookie-jar, do you actually
expect them to come forward and admit it?  Is it also your assertion that
all witnesses/political dissenters must be lily-white in order to be
believed?  That's just not reality. The road to the truth is messy, and more
truth falls from the lips of criminals than the average politician.

From whom would you expect to hear of govt. involvement in the drug trade
other than cops and criminals?  Do you think that the other cops like to be
exposed when they are discovered to be dirty? You can bet that the corrupt
will do almost anything to discredit a whistle-blower.  Both cops and
criminals have their "code of silence" -- that's the truth! And when that
fails, there is always coercion, frame-ups, and defamation.

It is my expectation to the hear the truth often from the seemingly least
worthy sources.  That's how the game of disinformation works.

BTW, I am not a conspiracy nut, but I don't believe in "Magic Bullets" either.

--Hop-Frog