 Off-Topic / Debate / 14692
  The Faith Issue

Hey Y'all: Reading another thread has put me squarely in mind of my real problems with Xtianity, and more particularly with Xtians in a more general way. [note: I don't so much mean the Xtians taking part in the other thread, many of whom are making (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Faith Issue

(...) I've more often envisioned that when they came to my house, I'd invite them in, and explain my religious perspective to them. I'd probably quite enjoy it. Presuming I wasn't in the middle of something. Actually, someone did that to me on the (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Faith Issue

(...) It's probably hostility against the actions of such persons inappropriately expressing itself as antipathy for the ideas held by such persons. Just a thought, -- Hop-Frog (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Faith Issue

(...) For my interest, since on Lugnet I've pursued a more atheist posture than theist, I would say that my enthusiasm for this debate (elsewhere, as much as here) stems from my desire to prevent others from legislating their beliefs and from a (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Faith Issue

(...) Me too, sometimes. I think (1) the Koran may have the same problems. But when I asked about it what I got was a load of "you're not being tolerant enough, how dare you ask"... at least that's how I read the net net of what I got back. Would it (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Faith Issue

(...) May not be your way of thinking, but I actually thought that the above was fairly brilliant. Sorry for the compliment -- I'll try to piss you off later to make up for it, K? (...) Windowpane? Blotter? What? No microdot?! =) I am very serious (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Faith Issue

Hi Rick and all, The main points in this post that I agree with, are: (...) Oh-so-totally-true. What *you* believe is what matters. My beliefs are very different than, say, my Jewish friend Mimi's beliefs. It doesn't matter that we are both Jewish - (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Faith Issue

(...) And from what I've seen, people's faith changes (sometimes markedly) over time, anyway - the well-publicised story of Cat Stevens / Yusouf Islam comes to mind - so what you preach to me today may become abominable to you tomorrow. ROSCO (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Faith Issue

(...) Richard, I've found the 2 fastest ways to get rid of them are: 1. Say "No thank you" and shut the door 2. Tell them I'm an atheist and watch their blank stares/shock/horror, as they turn around and leave. -- | Tom Stangl, iPlanet Web Server (...) (23 years ago, 16-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Faith Issue

(...) Tom, It's even easier than that. Just ask them to open up their Bibles to the page where it mentions 'dinosaurs'. (1) Regards, A.B. (1) Credit for this conundrum must go to the late great comedian Bill Hicks. (23 years ago, 17-Nov-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)