 Off-Topic / Debate / 14128
  Re: On the veracity of statistics in general

(...) I did. Go to the top of the thread and *read* the article I cited. UN stats for landmines are an order of magnitude different than the numbers that a professional in the field of mine clearing (and who therefore would presumably want lots of (...) (23 years ago, 19-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: On the veracity of statistics in general

(...) I have not read it yet. You said you found it yesterday. What was your basis before then? When you said (04.10.01): "I have no faith in statistics that are originated by the UN unless independently corroborated, and that's a blanket (...) (23 years ago, 19-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: On the veracity of statistics in general

(...) Hmm. The word “impartial” does *not* come to mind. Is this the best you can do? Even if you are correct. You have produced a report which suggests that one statistic may be wrong. Your argument alleges that the UN systematically produces duff (...) (23 years ago, 19-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: On the veracity of statistics in general

(...) Both may be wrong: (URL) wait a second. The UN says there are only 70 million landmines: (URL) you check the ICBL site you will see that the measure the size of the mined areas - not the amount of mines in them. Perhaps you can do better (...) (23 years ago, 19-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: On the veracity of statistics in general

(...) Well, it seems obvious to me that if they have produced one study that is bogus, that all their work is suspect. Chris (23 years ago, 19-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: On the veracity of statistics in general

(...) As an aside, I don't think I actually said that. I think they're all SUSPECT but some of them may well be correct. Especially the ones that have better data collection behind them. The statistic that started this strikes me as being VERY hard (...) (23 years ago, 21-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: On the veracity of statistics in general

(...) *Nope*, you said this: ==+== I have no faith in statistics that are originated by the UN unless independently corroborated, and that's a blanket statement. The UN apparatus is highly politicised and tends to produce answers that are (...) (23 years ago, 22-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  What, no answer? (was Re: On the veracity of statistics in general)

(...) What, no answer? Scott A (23 years ago, 22-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: On the veracity of statistics in general

(...) Chris, 1. I think "bogus" is rather strong. 2. We do not know that that stat is duff(?) 3. Even if it is, we need to find where the error is from. Until then, I shall continue to view Larry's view as nothing more than convenient: ==+== I have (...) (23 years ago, 22-Oct-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)