 Off-Topic / Debate / 12937
  Re: Thinking Out Loud...

(...) I want you to identify precisely what that means for me, because it is my guess that if you REALLY examine what it might mean you will see how it is an unachievable goal. And even if it is achievable, I have the funny idea that what you are (...) (23 years ago, 18-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Thinking Out Loud...

Very well put Richard, Lets finally look at the root cause. All this talk of attacking, revenge, terrorism. Can someone please tell me why these people did these horrific acts? What drove them? was it the only option they had to make their (...) (23 years ago, 19-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Thinking Out Loud...

(...) Well... I heard them. I heard what they were saying BEFORE this. bin Laden's jihad isn't just about Israel being mean to the Palestinians. It's way more than that. Read some of the links posted here, the interviews with him, the link I gave (...) (23 years ago, 19-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Thinking Out Loud...

(...) I read that article from the New Yorker -- a really valuable perspective piece I thought. Vollmann does more than describe the Taliban message too, he gives a good background on how they were brought to power by decades of misery in (...) (23 years ago, 19-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Thinking Out Loud...

(...) Agreed. I wasn't keen on the "nation building" exercise we tried in Somalia, it failed dismally. But maybe that's what is required here. I have no idea. What's the alternative though? I am *opposed* to just going in and indiscriminately (...) (23 years ago, 19-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Thinking Out Loud...

(...) The Somalia analogy holds for a decade ago, I think, when several factions had a more or less equal hold on different parts of the country. Now I'd say Afghanistan has "stabilised" as a decentralised theocracy. (...) First make it clear that (...) (23 years ago, 19-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Thinking Out Loud...

<snip> (...) But the Taliban are akin to the terrorists. It is just coincidence that they also happen to rule Afghanistan. (...) In Afghanistan, going against the government gets you dead. Pretty hard to go against that. (...) Who's plan? the (...) (23 years ago, 19-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Thinking Out Loud...

(...) "Akin" in what sense? That they are fundamentalist Muslims? That they abuse human rights? (...) Hard yes, impossible no. Ending Soviet communism was hard. Ending apartheid was hard. (...) Perhaps policy is a better word; a liberal policy (...) (23 years ago, 20-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Thinking Out Loud...

(...) A bullet through every green turban you see. (Or whatever.) I'm not advocating this action, merely answering the question. Chris (23 years ago, 20-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)