 Off-Topic / Debate / 12892
Re: Stupid Tales of Misplaced Zeal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 13:22:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Santosh Bhat writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Julie Krenz writes:

Well, yes, you're right about that. Hearing about hate crimes just leaves me
sooo frustrated -  among other feelings.

A crime is a criminal act regardless of who committed it, or their reason
for doing such. There is no distinction between crime spurned by hate or
crime spurned by love.

Hate Crimes, I imagaine, is a term created by the media to dramatise an ugly
incident. Obviously the a headline of "Man bites Dog" isn't good enough
these days.

Yes, it's a term coined for a reason... I am ambivalent about the term. It
has been misused at times but it does capture the sense that the crime is
particularly senseless, that it's being carried out for reasons of hate
rather than for personal gain of the criminal like a run of the mill bank
robbery.

But your point that crime is crime seems well taken. (although it's spurred,
rather than spurned I think. To spurn is to turn away, to spur is to goad
into action)