 Off-Topic / Debate / 12253
Re: How to conduct an interview and not actually listen
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:19:01 GMT

That's unfortunate. I suspect that these novels would not translate well to
cinema, at least not in the current climate.

Card is writing the screen play for Enders Game as a current project.  IIRC, he
has scrapped the project a couple of times because of movie-company constraints
and is keeping insanely tight control.  I suspect A) it will never be made or
B) it will be really good.

But I imagine the author's choice to use little
tykes as protagonists serves his commentary on modern societal values (or
lack of)?

Well, I suspect you may be falling into the same trap Ms. M did

I was going to say that too, but since you did, I'll just agree.

But to Card's credit I think he succeeds, more or less, at divorcing much of
his own beliefs from his work.

Agree and disagree.  His characters are not Mormon, or even Christian, but I
think they do display the social values that Card holds, at least when he
doesn't have some reason for them not to.  I do think that almost everything he
writes has clear moral compass overtones and questions.  But I like that.

(not all,
mind you, of course... consider Saints, which after all is about the Mormon
Diaspora, but it's a bit of a departure from the rest of his work, it's the
only historical fiction I think)

He has also written _Sarah_ and _Stone Tables_.  All of which (including
_Saints_) are very good.  these newer two are semi-fictionalizations of
biblical characters and situations.  Saints was IMO better, but only because it
affected me strongly.

As said by others in the thread, it's a gripping read and will very likely
make you think about a number of deep and important things, as well as being
entertaining in its own right to many readers. YMMV of course.

"South Park" is that way, I think. A good mixture of social commentary and
fart jokes.

This must be how Christians feel when you point out that Jesus was a bastard
jew...my heart is racing.   ;-)  South Park has very little in common with
Ender's Game, thankyouverymuch!

One of the big questions that Card poses and then doesn't answer to my
satisfaction in the book or any of the 3 sequels and 2 parallel (different
viewpoint) books is this:

Is it OK to do what the authorities did to these kids in order to save the
race?

It is.  Morality is meaningless in such situations.  And not doing so would be
equally morally questionable, so why not?

What if California were invaded by China

I think Mexico has a better claim.  And they actually _are_ invading (and
Spanish is taught to all gradeschoolers!), so it's a much more realistic
scenario.

Chris