 Off-Topic / Debate / 12247
Re: How to conduct an interview and not actually listen
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 20:04:33 GMT

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2000/02/03/card/index.html

Wow, I think that is about the most self serving piece (and worst interview)
I've ever seen in Salon...(1) IMHO this interviewer epitomizes much of
what's wrong with american journalism in one nice neat package.
1 - which is very damning, since Salon is pretty bad, overall
2 - Focus on [Minkowitz's] technique, not the interviewee, if you would.

I haven't previously read much of Salon, so I can't speak to complaints
about its overall style, but I agree that--as a straightforward
interview--this one is lacking.  However, it *is* an interesting exploration
of several forms of textual critique.

OK... Wasn't billed that way though.

Minkowitz spells out her intent to interview Card as a way of engaging in
biographical literary criticism, and along the way wades through political
and psychoanalytical criticism, as well.

But did she let the *subject* in on this intent? I don't think so, it looks
like to me that it was billed (to Card) as just a normal interview. Card, in
a perfect world, would have read some of her previous work, and would have
been better prepared for her manipulative gamesmanship, I suppose. But we're
all busy, I guess.

She makes the excellent excellent
excellent point that the author is not the work, nor does the author's
political/social/sexual/religious philosophy have anything to do with the
quality of a work.

I would agree with this, it IS a pretty profound observation. Doesn't make
up for the rest though.

Her statement on page two that "I don't want to know if
the book he wrote is so different than the beautiful one I read" is
fantastic, since it crystalizes the truth that an author's intent is
separate from his finished work. (I'd go on, but I can hear everyone snoring
already...)

It would have been better if she had more clearly stated what book it was
she actually perceived it as.

Again, I don't know how Salon usually operates, and Minkowitz hasn't
penned anything like a conventional interview, but if you're not looking for
a conventional interview then there's no problem.  It struck me less as an
interview and more as an article about a reader's expectation of an author
based on his works versus the reader's experience of an author based on
face-to-face conversation.  In that capacity it works very well, if one can
look past Minkowitz's own proselytizing in the meantime.

It was worse the proselytizing, in my book, it was distortivism. If she
really truly wanted to explain what was going on, perhaps an aural interview
wasn't the way to go, but rather something written down with multiple
exchanges (kind of what we are doing here). This may actually be the
exception to the rule that direct communication is better than written...

Card isn't perfect (someone who thinks communitarianism is a good idea has to
be somewhat suspect, and I'm not sure I agree with him about gays being
biologically defective (if that's what he said, I can't be sure)...)

You're right--it's unclear if that's what he means, but he clearly (and
preposterously) identifies homosexuality as a mental aberration.

That's where we diverge all right... It MIGHT be an aberration in a few
cases but for the most part I see it as a lifestyle choice more than
anything else. One that deserves no special treatment (in either direction).

He
bristles at the charge of "homophobe," but from this article, at least, he
seems like a textbook case.  That in itself doesn't make him a good or bad
writer, of course, anymore than his religion makes him a good or bad one.

Not in itself, agreed. We all can dig up examples of those we agree with who
are poor at their art and those we disagree with who are good at their art,
surely.

But... (and here I disagree with myself a bit) if the author lets their
viewpoint color everything, it makes for bad writing. Such as L. Neil Smith,
for example, who lets his libertarianism color his work so badly that it's
(at least to me) total schlocky dreck.

Or (self referentially) such as Ms. Minkowitz, the subject of my diatribe.

++Lar