 Off-Topic / Debate / 12243
Re: How to conduct an interview and not actually listen
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 11:22:17 GMT

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2000/02/03/card/index.html

Wow, I think that is about the most self serving piece (and worst interview)
I've ever seen in Salon...(1) IMHO this interviewer epitomizes much of
what's wrong with american journalism in one nice neat package.

Agree/disagree?(2)

As far as a quality interview, I guess that I think it's par for the course.
As far as a piece of writing, I found it _really_ good!  I thought her running
internal dialog was fascinating.  What per se did you think was wrong with it?
I basically agree with Erik's characterization of the interview, but I guess it
seemed more mild to me.

2 - Focus on her technique, not the interviewee, if you would. Card isn't
perfect (someone who thinks communitarianism is a good idea has to be
somewhat suspect,

Of course the same could be said about Libertarians.

And he does say "Well, let's put it this way. Most of the program of
both the left and the right is so unbelievably stupid it's hard to
wish to identify myself with either."  Which I can certainly understand.

and I'm not sure I agree with him about gays being
biologically defective (if that's what he said, I can't be sure)...) but
that's not the point of this post.

The homosexuality issue is really the only point where the author seemed to go
off the deep end.  She really stretched things that Card said in order to take
them as inflamitory.  But he doesn't claim that gays are biologically
defective...and she doesn't even claim that's what he says.  His assertion is
that they are "withdrawing...from the mainline of human life."  By which he
means reproduction and all the social societal elements that accompany
reproduction.  (But of course, I disagree with the implication that this
matters.)

Chris