 Off-Topic / Debate / 12241
Re: How to conduct an interview and not actually listen
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 01:34:21 GMT

It's more of a debate than an interview. Two people who can't define their
terms cover ground rapidly while discovering how much they dislike each other.

I found the remarks by Card to be in character for him, a character I've
paid attention to since I read Ender's Game in 1990.  Card can expressively
cover complex issues of motivation and behavior by creating characters with
interesting obstacles or handicaps, but when pressed about his themes he
relies on dogma. Essentially, he is an apologist for religion (mysticism,
altruism, and collectivism) and these themes dominate his science fiction.

The interviewer is in character with Salon's stance, the Village Voice, and
GQ: find interesting people or topics, refuse to define terms, pretend to
agree sometimes, smear by not allowing distinctions to be made, and don't
consider why a sane person might object to the treatment.

A good interview poses questions that the subject is uniquely qualified to
break new ground on. This interviewer comes across as a fan with illusions
about the author, the kind of debater you respond to with "please phrase
your answer in the form of a question."