 Off-Topic / Debate / 11698
  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) You are joking, I presume? (...) Yet, if you arm everyone you get less violence? No. What you get is every petty crime or malicious act escalating rapidly into a violent and murderous one. You get negligible non-violent crime rates, and huge (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) It could be argued that handgun/gun ownership actually restricts freedoms. I would feel a little oppressed if I knew that behind the twitching curtains in my area lurked a potential gun. Or if during an argument in a bar between two strangers (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) I don't know if that's a tenable stance; one could as easily argue that a knife-wielding madman lurks in the bushes, but that doesn't mean we should outlaw knives *or* bushes. The only material difference between a gun and a knife (or a club, (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) One would hope not. However, knife-wielding madmen are rare - thankfully! (...) How would you see the reduction happening - education? Or perhaps reducing the type of guns up for sale? Scott A (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Maybe you can, but don't tell that to those Japanese schoolchildren... -- Tom Stangl ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Cute. But the point remains that more deaths are caused yearly by handguns than by stabbings, and in any case multiply-fatal stabbings are rare, and certainly don't often involve the same number of victims as a shooting spree. (Again--not that (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Handgun Death Rate

(...) Doesn't it disturb you that a guy with a knife killing eight Japanese schoolchildren makes worldwide news, and yet mass murders in the US often barely get a mention beyond local news? Doesn't that tell you something about this country? I would (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jul-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)