 Off-Topic / Debate / 11709
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 15:59:40 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

It could be argued that handgun/gun ownership actually restricts freedoms. I
would feel a little oppressed if I knew that behind the twitching curtains
in my area lurked a potential gun. Or if during an argument in a bar between
two strangers a gun could be pulled.

  I don't know if that's a tenable stance; one could as easily argue that a
knife-wielding madman lurks in the bushes, but that doesn't mean we should
outlaw knives *or* bushes.  The only material difference between a gun and a
knife (or a club, or whatever) is the fact that it's a ranged weapon.  I
can, under most circumstances, run away from a guy with a knife

Maybe you can, but don't tell that to those Japanese schoolchildren...

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/