 Off-Topic / Debate / 11718
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 16:17:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Dave Schuler wrote:

It could be argued that handgun/gun ownership actually restricts freedoms. I
would feel a little oppressed if I knew that behind the twitching curtains
in my area lurked a potential gun. Or if during an argument in a bar between
two strangers a gun could be pulled.

  I don't know if that's a tenable stance; one could as easily argue that a
knife-wielding madman lurks in the bushes, but that doesn't mean we should
outlaw knives *or* bushes.  The only material difference between a gun and a
knife (or a club, or whatever) is the fact that it's a ranged weapon.  I
can, under most circumstances, run away from a guy with a knife

Maybe you can, but don't tell that to those Japanese schoolchildren...

  Cute.  But the point remains that more deaths are caused yearly by
handguns than by stabbings, and in any case multiply-fatal stabbings are
rare, and certainly don't often involve the same number of victims as a
shooting spree.  (Again--not that banning handguns would eliminate that
problem.)

    Dave!