 Off-Topic / Debate / 11717
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:57:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Well, I know your post must have been a joke by the tone you took, but.....

Really, what do we need handguns and automatic weapons for except to protect
ourselves from assholes with the same weapons? Get rid of them all and it
significantly lowers the odds of getting shot or accidentally shooting
yourself. If someone wants to argue that people will just use other weapons
like shot guns and rifles, or knives and stones, then we are facing a more
serious issue of why crime happens and how we can prevent it.

Outlaw handguns, and only outlaws will have them.  And all that would do is make
rifles and shotguns "the firearm of choice in violent crimes and murders" sooner
or later.

Sure, and as a society we need to address the whole issue of murder and how
we deal with it in this country, even with regard to our foreign policy. Tim
McVeigh made a brutal impression on America without the use of a single
firearm. Yet he was a decorated "hero" for serving in the Gulf War. We have
issues in this country and more guns is not the answer. Not that I would
ever condone this, but maybe when someone pops a few caps in Charlton Heston
with an AK-47 then he'll rethink the "necessity" of such weapons.

I don't own a single gun.  YET.

Same here.

But don't try to legislate me out of my right
to own one (one of the reasons I'll move out of CA sooner or later is all the
gun legislation the bastards keep trying to pass).

Well the pro-gun dickwads need to understand that they are hiding behind the
Constitution instead of facing the fact that our country has a gun problem.
We are a gun culture, there's no two ways about it. And I know a lot of
decent people who own handguns but their attitude is if getting rid of
handguns and automatic weapons makes America a better place, they're all for
it. The NRA is in denial as far as I'm concerned.

Dan