 Off-Topic / Debate / 11698
Re: Handgun Death Rate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:57:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Well, I know your post must have been a joke by the tone you took, but.....

You are joking, I presume?

Outlaw handguns, and only outlaws will have them.  And all that would do is
make rifles and shotguns "the firearm of choice in violent crimes and
murders" sooner or later.

Yet, if you arm everyone you get less violence?  No.  What you get is every
petty crime or malicious act escalating rapidly into a violent and murderous
one.  You get negligible non-violent crime rates, and huge violent crime
rates, as per another thread around here.

Anyway, the reason handguns are the firearm of choice is because they are
easily concealed.  Rifles and shotguns are not.  And, if handguns are
outlawed, you have the power to confiscate them before they are used.

I don't own a single gun.  YET.  But don't try to legislate me out of my right
to own one (one of the reasons I'll move out of CA sooner or later is all the
gun legislation the ******** keep trying to pass).

What right do you have to own one?  What right do you have to possess a
device designed and owned solely for the purpose of killing another human
being?  What basic human need or freedom does this provide you with?

And that's two posts where people have used unacceptable language on this
newsgroup.  And you choose to do so whilst trying to convince us that you
can be trusted with a gun?

Jason J Railton