 Off-Topic / Debate / 11697
Re: Laws about sex.... (was something else)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:22:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason J. Railton writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason J. Railton writes:

[3]Or do this with the American Constitution - another great source of legal
lunacy.

Could you elaborate on this a bit? Thanks.

Erm - so that someone can nit-pick and flame me?  I did write a load of
stuff in reply to this, then deleted the lot.  It just occured to me that
I'd then have to spend the next year trying to explain 'irony'.  What's the
betting I have to anyway - I give it 48 hours.

How many times have you read of a case that hinged on one particular spin or
interpretation of a word or phrase of law or constitution?  If your answer
is 'none', then there's no point in my continuing.

This even happens on Lugnet:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=8711

Example: Right to free speech as a counter argument to banning mobile phone
use whilst driving.  I saw this recently, but I forget the source.  You
wonder if it's serious.  The point is, you don't know.  Preposterous as it
sounds, you know that someone could try it as a defence.  But what would you
say were their chances?  One in a million?  But not zero though.

It is about to become law in New York State. There are plans to do the same
in the UK:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_1442000/1442797.stm

Right to bear arms - originally to allow the new populace to raise an armed
force.  Now used to equip any US citizen with lethal weaponry.  Defended by
lawyers, paid to nit-pick words written centuries ago.

Why?  How does any of this benefit the society?

Indeed.

Scott A

Jason J Railton