 Off-Topic / Debate / 10996
  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

(...) On the attack again, Daniel? Calling something a ridiculous notion is hardly an insult, it's just a characterization of the notion itself. The very idea that someone might find fault with something you say gets to you, doesn't it? Here I (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

(...) I haven't attacked anyone, Larry. Telling someone to "mind their tone" is hardly an attack. And I didn't call Tom's notions or opinion ridiculous or any other thing. If you want to play games and jump and nitpick what I say, twist it to mean (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

(...) Sorry for butting in, then, because I can see that you and he are doing *so well* at dealing with the actual assertions and issues... I don't know what I was thinking suggesting that you might be wrong about something or that you might be (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

(...) Personally, NO, because the earth has a history of mass extinctions that take place every so many million years apart. So, within a billion years there can be any number of mass extinction events followed by the rise of "new" organisms to (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

(...) No, the only thing that inflated this was your blatant lack of clarity. You seem to put VOLUMES of extra background into: "Everything that has ever happened or will ever happen with mankind has taken place on this tiny, blue world. Since we (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

There were many ways you could have approached my statement that reflected a desire for more clarity, yet you chose to be rude and obnoxious. You chose hostility over diplomacy. That's your game and I'm not impressed. You are the one with the (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

(...) My point is that while that is true NOW we would be foolish to let it be so for a billion, a million, or even a thousand years longer. Manifest destiny! Ad Astra Per Aspera. Our destiny is not to remain here, every single one of us, for the (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

(...) Yup! Small steps leading to bigger, and bigger steps. Think of how far we've come just in one century! At the same time, as Carl Sagan said, we are still in our stage of "global infancy" and need to get past the petty, destructive differences (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

(...) Selçuk both gave the quote, and couldn't remember who said it. Either way though, I still like the quote in its out-of-Stalin context. ("The death of one is a tregedy, the death of millions is a stastic.) The way Stalin used it, it's (...) (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)

(...) That was the quote! Thanks Shiri! Dan (23 years ago, 18-Jun-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)