 Off-Topic / Debate / 10996
Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:36:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

Daniel Jassim wrote:
Everything that has ever happened or will ever happen with mankind has taken
place on this tiny, blue world. Since we all must share this one small world
for the next billion years,

Where do you get this ridiculous notion from?  Are you SERIOUSLY going to tell me you
think we'll never get off this planet in the next billion years?
I suppose you believe we haven't really been to the moon already?

Ridiculous? What gives with the insults, Tom? Have I done something wrong to
you? Mind your tone and read it again.

On the attack again, Daniel? Calling something a ridiculous notion is hardly
an insult, it's just a characterization of the notion itself. The very idea
that someone might find fault with something you say gets to you, doesn't
it? Here I thought we'd gotten you relatively calmed down again. Oh well.

"Everything that has ever happened or
will ever happen with mankind" as in everything we do begins here on this
planet. This is our home, our starting point for any step we will take, even
across space and time. Everything begins here in our heads, our hearts and
on our planet.

No argument with that in my book, and in Tom's either, I bet. This wasn't
the part he was disagreeing with. That's what has happened so far. What he's
disagreeing with is your certainty about the future.

Sorry you decided to infer it another way. But who knows if mankind will
even last that long

It won't. This is part of what makes "Since we all must share this one small
world for the next billion years" a ridiculous notion. Unless we completely
stop evolution dead, in a billion years there will be no mankind. We will
have evolved into something else.

and if our planet will survive US as well comets,
meteors and nearby supernovas. I don't assume we'd be abondoning our dear
home unless it became severly uninhabitable. But I never said or tried to
suggest that we'd never get off this planet.

"Since we *all*" implies no one is leaving. Your implication is pretty clear
to me. No one is suggesting that mother earth be abandoned.

But the idea of putting all our eggs into just the one basket seems foolish.
As does the idea of polluting our nest with waste. That's for baby birds
that don't know better. Mature species carry out their industrial processes
well separated from their homes. The earth needs to be turned into a big
park with all significant industry off planet.

I'll admit, your scenario of having us trapped on one planet till we are no
more certainly CAN happen. All it takes is enough luddites,
antimaterialists, or government regulators more concerned with their
bureau's turf than anything else, and pfft... no spreading wings and taking
flight.

++Lar