 Off-Topic / Debate / 10997
Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:43:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Yeah, let's do it RIGHT - drop the sanctions, and assassinate the bastard.
That's the simplest fix ;-)

Might theoretically be simplest but I doubt it. Better: Drop the sanctions,
drop restrictions on private individuals giving aid, and let his own people
do it. What Bush I did to the Iraqi opposition, leading them on, then
leaving them out to dry, was indeed criminal.

I cannot support a government that practices assassination, no matter what
the provokation, unless we are actively at war with the country at the
time(1). Not a secret war, not a presedential pocket (undeclared by
congress) war, but a full on, legitimate war.

Any shirking away from that view doesn't give you much of a pulpit to stand
on when you preach against other governments doing the same thing, or
sending terrorists to your shores. You cannot fight terrorism with terror.

1 - I admit, this is an escape clause that would have made, for example,
assassinating Hitler legitimate... but I am not sure I even would have
supported that. I could be convinced either way, though. (note to readers,
please realise that I am saying here that I *don't know*, and I am open to
different viewpoints... doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen in my case,
unlike some people)

++Lar