 Off-Topic / Debate / 11016
Re: Sanctions (was: Libertarian Propaganda)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:32:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
If you want to help, let Tom speak for
himself and let us work this out. Stop looking for opportunities to kick the
sand in my face.

Sorry for butting in, then, because I can see that you and he are doing *so
well* at dealing with the actual assertions and issues...

I don't know what I was thinking suggesting that you might be wrong about
something or that you might be taking things to the wrong level. I'll try to
do better next time. (s)

Tell you what, why don't you go back and respond to my post and just ignore
the stuff that gets you riled up. (what you did last time was ignore the
substantive stuff and get riled up...) I'm curious as to what you really think.

Boiled down my questions around this are:

Do you think we'll still be around in a billion years, still human?
Do you think we'll *all* still be living on this one planet at that time?

That, seriously, is what I got from the statement you made. Citing what you
said before, in an effort to show that you actually said what I said you
said, seems to get you riled up so I won't.

I don't think we should take the attitude that it's OK to foul our nest
because we're leaving, but I also think we ought to be working as hard as we
possibly can to spread our wings and get on with our exploration (and
exploitation, where it makes sense to do so, in places where there is no
life and no hope of any ever arising) of the rest of the universe. John Pike
is wrong, there's a big universe out there and robots aren't the way to get
a grip on it. (1)

Why? So that we can turn Old Earth into a garden planet/nature preserve...

s - See other posts in the thread for what "(s)" means

1 - He seems to be the talking head the mass media gets when they want a
"scientist's opinion"... conveniently he seems to fit their worldview nicely.

++Lar