 Off-Topic / Debate / 10595
Re: A Jeffers factoid or two
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 17:03:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:

It's funny how around election time the differences were minimized, but once
Bush was safely ensconced in the White House he felt free to push his right
wing agenda.  On the whole I think it is true that because of the realities
of getting elected in this country candidates have to embrace
Demopublicanism.  The main reason I was forced to join Ralph's party was to
make a statement about my dissatisfaction at the caving in of the Democrats
to more conservative factions.

An undeniable truth about this, though, is that the Democratic Party is
more likely to court moderate, center-leaning republicans than it is to try
to embrace the far-left fringe.

Yes, and since there are a lot more voters in the center, in some ways I can't
blame the Democrats for choosing to court them, pragmatist that I am.

Another unfortunate truth is that a vote for Nader was very much a vote for
Bush, but thankfully(?) it didn't make much difference in the end.

Yes also, and lest you think that all Greens voted for Nader in November, some
of the pragmatists among us went for Gore (in fact I was quite miffed that so
many Greens "wasted" their votes until it was pointed out to me that some
people did it to ensure Nader would get the funding).

I'm pleased that you're aware of the differences between the Democrats and
Republicans.  Many of the Greens I've spoken to seem to believe that the two
parties are identical; it's a shame that some people needed George's
80's-revival politics to point out the distinctions.

That's because many Greens are not old enough to remember the 80's and James
Watt!  And maybe my awareness stems from the fact that my political leanings
are more Democrat anyway (Paul Tsongas probably most closely embodied my
views-- liberal social policy, somewhat more conservative economic policy).

Maggie (not your typical Green)