 Off-Topic / Debate / 10593
Re: A Jeffers factoid or two
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 15:14:26 GMT

I hear what you are saying Larry. I few months ago I would have agreed.
However, now that Bush is in power I am not so sure. Events last week show
that perheps there is a difference between the the big 2:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/americas/newsid_1355000/1355281.stm

Jeffers may well have saved the US $60bn tax dollars... but I doubt it.

It's funny how around election time the differences were minimized, but once
Bush was safely ensconced in the White House he felt free to push his right
wing agenda.  On the whole I think it is true that because of the realities of
getting elected in this country candidates have to embrace Demopublicanism. The
main reason I was forced to join Ralph's party was to make a statement about my
dissatisfaction at the caving in of the Democrats to more conservative
factions.

I do find it a great relief that the Democrats have now retaken control of the
Senate, primarily because of what Bush and his administration have shown in the
space of a few months what they plan to do for our environment.  The only
reason I'm not dancing in the streets is because power could shift back at any
time, with Toricelli(D) of New Jersey under the threat of indictment (OTOH
Strom Thurmond must be pushing 100-- how much longer can HE last?).

Maggie C. (it's actually pretty easy being Green)