 Off-Topic / Debate / 10596
Re: M6 Crash
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 17:48:53 GMT

Well, I'm not a copper, but I do deal with motor claims for an Insurance
company, and there are a lot of factors to take into account:

Was anybody injured?
Was anybody killed?
Was there any spillage?
Was there much debris on the road?
Was there a leakage of fuel?  If so, was any emergency resurfacing needed?
Were any repairs needed to motorway "furniture"?

Etc etc...

You are right in that the Police need to document everything - if they
don't, then it's difficult for the various parties after the event to get
things like liability disputes resolved and you could end up with needless
litigation - plus the fact that if the accident was down to driver error,
they'll need every scrap of evidence for any legal action against him or
her.  Also, they need to make sure that some kind of serious defect in the
vehicle didn't cause the crash - or it could happen again...

Hope this makes some kind of sense.

Andrew.

Steven Lane <Steveroblane@aol.com> wrote in message
A lorry crashed on the M6 motorway (freeway is U.S parlance) in the early
hours of this mourning, It said on the news that it cost business millions
of pounds due to the enourmous delays. Why does it take 8 hours to re-open • a
motorway? That's a third of a day, just to move a damaged lorry and it's
load off the carrigeway. I reckon it's because the police insist in
documenting every aspect of the crash. Surely there's a better way to deal
with a crash where people don't have to suffer the disruption and sit in
traffic jams for hours?

Steve