 Off-Topic / Debate / 10583
Re: M6 Crash
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 00:05:31 GMT

Steven Lane wrote:
I agree here as well. But I know rubber necking does slow the opposite
carrigeway which although clear still slows down as people try and get a
look at the carnage.

Even then, I'm not convinced it's actually rubber necking. I know the
one time I witnessed an accident in progress on the other side of the
highway, I briefly slowed down. In part, I was wondering if I should
stop and render assistance, in part, I think it was a defensive reaction
to seeing an obviously out of control hunk of metal heading my way. The
accident was a single car which lost control and wound up sliding on its
side into the center barrier. The fact that I was driving a van full of
my possessions as I was heading down to North Carolina won me out over
stopping to render assistance (plus the fact that cars on the other side
were already stopping).

Frank