 Off-Topic / Debate / *8291 (-20)
  Re: Problems with Christianity

I made a print-out of your post to read over - Do you realize we're up to six pages even before I reply? :-) (...) I'm trying to show the difference between these court "proofs". No I wouldn't say that case proved O.J. guilty or innocent, but let's (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arguing about nature, Nature, and ethics

In response to "Dave Low" <stinglessbee@hotSPA...Email.com> in message news:G5xHH6.6GH@lugnet.com... (...) Dave, Your participation is no interruption at all; it's a welcome addition to the discussion. I understand your objection and would say that (...) (24 years ago, 22-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nature of man (was Re: Problems with Christianity)

The only time I have hostility towards Christians (or any other religion) is when they won't shut up and leave me alone when I request it. Beyond that, you can call it bemusement, I guess. (...) An omnipotent, omniscient God removes free will from (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Uselessness of .debate

(...) My default in interpreting your words is to assume sarcastic intent. If you actually were complimenting me, sorry... but otherwise: What is the issue? Seems a pretty clear cut answer to a question. Was it that you didn't want anyone to answer (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  (Sub|Ob)jectivity and related case studies on .debate (...or is it just about taxation :-)

Kevin and Frank are right, this discussion didn't belong in that thread. My bad. It kind of crept up on me. (...) Would you prefer "the forceful (when necessary) realocation of resources?" Theft is much shorter. It is more convenient to call it (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Uselessness of .debate

(...) A well reasoned response. (...) Go back an read my reply to Chris. (...) Which assertion was this? Can you at least give the date Chris posted it? (...) Why, does he suggest I not ask a staight question - which is just what the post you (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Debate's current problem (was Re: Uselessness of .debate)

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> Whoops. Forgot to trim lugnet.admin.general from followups, please, if you respond, do trim your followups even though I forgot to. ++Lar (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Nature of man (was Re: Problems with Christianity)

In retrospect, perhaps I should not have responded to David's post. I certainly didn't expect to spend this much time here. :-) I'll do my best to answer questions posed to me, and I don't mind civilized debate, but I don't see how sweeping (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Debate's current problem (was Re: Uselessness of .debate)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Paul Baulch writes: <snip> I snipped the whole thing rather than responding point by point. I'll summarise my stance as follows: Great post. I'm disappointed that no one else commmented yet. Is it because everyone agrees (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Problems with Christianity

(...) No, silly, not like Elvis. For one thing, Jesus doesn't have a secret love nest penthouse suite at the top of a famous, but unnamed Las Vegas hotel, and for another thing, Jesus has never been abducted by aliens and had his brain removed, CAT (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Announcement - Religion Useful? Debate...

You can find this on the web at CSPAN.ORG if you do a search on "Alan Keyes". Frankly, I thought both parties were sloppy (Keyes resorts to Ad Hominem, for example), but Dershowitz in particular showed a real unfamiliarity with the philosophical (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Announcement - Religion Useful? Debate...

Since there's no announcement group... If anyone watches this, I'd like their opinion. It would appear to be inline with a few of the debates here... ------- C-SPAN will re-broadcast the Keyes/Dershowitz debate from Franklin & Marshall College, (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Uselessness of .debate

(...) If "we" includes "me", then no. More generally, I'd like to see a cite of a .debate post where you admitted you changed your mind about something that you had been exposed to here. I may have missed it. You need to be a bit crisper sometimes, (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nature of man (was Re: Problems with Christianity)

(...) A side thought; what might occur in Creation that is unknown to Him? Is there somewhere one can go to be out of His view (rhetorical point--not a real question). Isn't there something in the Bible about noticing the death of each sparrow (or (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nature of man (was Re: Problems with Christianity)

(...) Hmm. I'm not particularly convinced that it is necessary, but I'll grant the point, since it's a theological underpinning for most christian faiths. (...) Hmm. There's not much I can say to that, because it's a pretty closed loop. The phrase (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Arguing about nature, Nature, and ethics

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Steve Thomas writes in response to Kevin Wilson: Steve, sorry to interrupt again, but there's a basic assumption of your argument that I totally disagree with. I think your subsequent conclusions are fascinating, but I'm (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Change? Somewhat verbose...

(...) I haven't left a debate yet simply because of sheer boredom. It's actually a lack of time. I'm amazed to see all the time that some folk can devote to these threads, I don't have enough time to build LEGO much less respond to all the postings (...) (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Nature of man (was Re: Problems with Christianity)

(...) Oh, I'm not saying I agree with it-- heck, the argument that God exists period can be circular and is non-falsifiable... certainly any statement about Him which therefore presupposes his existence can be said to be so as well. DaveE (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Uselessness of .debate

(...) Or in this thread, unless one is trying to prove that people can't keep .debate topics in the right place. (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Uselessness of .debate

(...) In an abstract sense, do we agree on this? Scott A (24 years ago, 21-Dec-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact