 Off-Topic / Debate / *5291 (-20)
  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Undeniably, but the ascending lefty's disadvantage wouldn't be as great an ascending rightie would have fighting up those same steps. (...) I’m scandalized! No lefty would ever attempt such an un-chivalrous ploy! Dave! (...) (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) I think you hit it right on the head--unless I'm mistaken, that's one of the reasons such staircases were built that way. Dave! (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) You know, I never though much about this, but I pitch right and bat left - I'm sure that confused people in grade school ;-) Strangely enough, a LOT more than 10% of the people I know are left-handed. Something about my interests in general (...) (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

Ah, but the defenders coming DOWN would be better off being right-handed - so I guess you'd start hating southpaws if you were defending ;-) (...) -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not associate my personal (...) (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) BINGO - my teachers tried to force me to write right-handed. They luckily gave up after a while, because my handwriting is bad enough left-handed, right-handed I might as well be scrawling Sanscrit. (...) Well, that's because <groaner> "we (...) (25 years ago, 19-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) I always thought it was because the left hand was the primordial "wiping hand"--most people preferring the right meant that one had to keep it clean. This may of course be apocryphal. I'm a lefty in writing only--I favour my right for (...) (25 years ago, 18-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Manual pencil sharpeners, table settings, fast food fry scoops, older-style doorknobs, pens and pencils with writing on them, the vast majority of scissors, can openers (a la Simpsons), most water fountains, desks, paper cutters, most versions (...) (25 years ago, 18-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Only if the rest of the wall is made up of those goofy right-handers I keep hearing about! On the other hand (!) to use another period example, a lefty fighting his way up a spiral staircase would be at an advantage, since such stairways (...) (25 years ago, 18-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Sinister one might even say (for a very good example of the thinking of "left" as bad). And of course right handed is good (dexter). One supposed explanation of why left handed is bad is if you think about troops in a shield wall, and how (...) (25 years ago, 18-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) Indeed. I was startled to find out that my SO (age 43) was forced to use his right hand to write with instead of his left in elementary school by having his hands beaten with a ruler if he used the wrong one! The effects still show in his (...) (25 years ago, 18-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl mentioned: (...) Side rant, triggered by Tom's casual example, but not having much relevance to the current thread (hey, this is .o-t): As I understand, there used to be prejudice against left-handed people. (...) (25 years ago, 18-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

(...) No, the proper justification for the *right* people have to go around saying things that they know are going to offend people (at least in America), is that we have a constitutional right to do so (with certain limitations, see my other post). (...) (25 years ago, 17-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) Maybe how Voltaire said it, which is as far from political correctness as I think you can get. "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it." To me, this allows that racism and bigotry (...) (25 years ago, 17-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) seeing (...) Point taken, that isn't the greatest construct, is it? Can you offer a rewrite that conveys the desired meaning (there may be things that you find offensive out there, and if you encounter them, you might indeed be offended by (...) (25 years ago, 17-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) He-hee! I think I misread this the first time you mentioned it, and I was really confused. I thought: "Gee, I'm 'not offended' many times a day--I'd hate for someone to take that away from me!" **grammar geek warning*** I suppose I was failing (...) (25 years ago, 17-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) Hmm.. you raise an interesting dilemma. I've never considered myself PC. Far from it, in fact. Yet I dislike use of certain words. How to reconcile it? The PC crowd wants to prevent use of them dejure, or so it seems to me. I merely ask that (...) (25 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

It may be small beer, but after more than a decade of PC crap, you can still drown in it. I thought we had mostly gotten past the PC Cop stage in the world in general. One place I did not expect to see it, nor WANT to see it, was on Lugnet. Lugnet (...) (25 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question

"Hell in a handbasket" - sorry, there is no way in HECK I am going to censor that phrase, as it is a widely known phrase that really loses most of its' meaning as "heck (or Heavenly Challenged for you PC Dorks) in a handbasket". I'm sorry, but there (...) (25 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Christopher Weeks wrote in message ... (...) Even (...) there. (...) are (...) a (...) practical (...) On (...) up (...) of (...) or (...) as (...) American (...) somewhat (...) the (...) I agree with the above. For 99.9999% of parents out there, (...) (25 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: PCisms (was :Re: Yet Another Episode 1 Question)

(...) Agreed. I should have said responsible instead of liable, as responsible is what I meant. (...) Gosh I hope not! It is hard to tell when one personally is getting a pass, or when one's close friends are (one's judgement is clouded a bit). Can (...) (25 years ago, 16-Apr-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact