 Off-Topic / Debate / *25181 (-20)
  Yaay Canada! Canadian Team goes for X Prize

(URL) whatever reason, this was binned into the Oddly Enough section on Yahoo (because Reuters did, I guess). (20 years ago, 6-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: "In order to do a proper count one has to know how many people voted in the first place."

(...) We've got Absentee Ballots, but they're primarily aimed at those who either can't be in their district on voting day (such as deployed troops), or can't reasonably be expected to travel to their voting place (such as the elderly or (...) (20 years ago, 6-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  "In order to do a proper count one has to know how many people voted in the first place."

(...) Postal votes have been used in the UK for yonks. However, they have been used recently as a tool to improve voter turnout. This has led to three problems: Party workers have been "assisting" voters with the paperwork. Within some ethnic (...) (20 years ago, 6-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

"Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote in message news:I1zIBB.6M0@lugnet.com... (...) you (...) to (...) not one (...) party (...) door). The best ballots I have seen so far were in Wake County North Carolina. A very easy ballot where (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

(...) I've been against e-voting from very first moment I heard about it, because the closer it gets to being done over the internet, the closer it gets to the point where either a hacker can directly tweak the results, or a timed virus can prevent (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Question for the Conservatives out there

(...) Interestingly, it appears that the GOP has decided that e-voting is so unreliable that it's encouraging Florida Republicans to use their absentee ballots instead. (URL) this is all becoming less and less hypothetical as we go along. Hmm... (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Bush drags the US through the mud again

(URL) Red Cross says Tipton Three may have case: US abuse could be war crime> "Some of the abuses alleged by the detainees would indeed constitute inhuman treatment... but we can't comment on this publicly since this type of allegation is raised (...) (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How about a glossary?

(...) No, only that it was intended to be taken in a humorous way. (...) Okay. You got the "joke" but decided to deliberately respond with hostility anyway. Fine. LUGNET just got a little less civil. JOHN (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How about a glossary?

(...) Well, that was my point. Last I heard, adding a smiley doesn't automatically make a statement into a joke, it generally requires some humour to be present. (...) Really??????? No kidding????!!!!!????? Ha ha ha. ROSCO (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How about a glossary?

(...) Well, that was the joke (hence the smiley). Your post was about 4 minutes after mine... (...) (URL) Lighten up, Francis.> JOHN (20 years ago, 5-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: How about a glossary?

(...) Well John, that might even be slightly funny if it was all old news, but if you read carefully, you'll see I included more than your solitary useful link and one totally meaningless one. So please try to keep the stupid **** in (...) (20 years ago, 4-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Michael Moore sued for lying?

(...) I'd ask what a pentagraph has to do with either a pentacle or a pentagram...but I live in Holland, and I know how stupid some of the locals can be about such things. They did chase an Oscar-winning Dutch film out of town, after all. What (...) (20 years ago, 4-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Right on Schedule

(...) I'll try to take your views on board. (...) I feel better already! (...) The one left of centre gets my vote. ;) Scott A (20 years ago, 4-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Michael Moore sued for lying?

(...) Interestingly, (URL) this> makes it sound like the firework was named after the window... It (URL) appears> they are not normally octagonal. Scott A (...) (20 years ago, 4-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Michael Moore sued for lying?

(...) eh? What's *5* got to do with it? The name of the paper is pAntagraph, not pEntagraph (personally I'd love to publish a paper so titled in, say, Holland, MI to get the mundanes all uptight, but I digress) or pantOgraph, which was my original (...) (20 years ago, 4-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Michael Moore sued for lying?

(...) Oh I caught the rtlT topic relation, and I especially liked the 'eh' bit 'cause, well, I am Canadian and I like the 'eh', eh. But I just wanted to clarify for my faulty recollection that a Catharine wheel/window was 8 sided instead of 5. Dave (...) (20 years ago, 4-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Michael Moore sued for lying?

(...) I didn't give a good enough hint with the "eh", I guess. This obscure reference was to rtlT's discussion about St. Catharines (town name) vs. St. Catherines (incorrectly spelled town name)... not to any torture devices, fireworks, windows, or (...) (20 years ago, 4-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Michael Moore sued for lying?

(...) I always thought a Catherine Wheel was a rock band; maybe it's just that I have been staring at the sun too long;-) JOHN (20 years ago, 4-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: Michael Moore sued for lying?

(...) I always thought a Catharine wheel was 8 sided, like a stopsign--I was told that those little 8 sided windows usually on the 2nd storey of small brick houses built in the 30's-40's were called 'Catharine windows'. Of course, all this is (...) (20 years ago, 4-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Michael Moore sued for lying?

(...) Er, PantAgraph. Where's St. Catharine when you need her, eh? (20 years ago, 4-Aug-04, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact