 Off-Topic / Debate / 25178
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 21:18:26 GMT

"Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote in message
The one odd little problem that seems like it should be changed is that if • you
check one of the boxes to vote a straight party ticket, you are considered • to
have voted for that party's candidate in every category, even if there's • not one
listed, so voting for a candidate who is not opposed by a member of your • party
still registers as a double-vote and will result in your ballot not being
accepted (but at least you get a chance to fix it before you walk out the
door).

The best ballots I have seen so far were in Wake County North Carolina. A
very easy ballot where you drew a line (with a special pen) to complete the
arrow beside the candidate you wanted to vote for. If you marked the
"straight party ticket" line, you could still override individual elections
by marking the appropriate candidate. I don't know if the scanner checked
for errors.

The nice thing about such paper ballots also is that if the polling place is
getting swamped, they can just pass out pens and anyone who doesn't require
the privacy of a booth can just mark their ballots on the nearest available
flat surface and turn them in.

When I first moved to Oregon, Washington County used the punch ballots with
chads, though not in the butterfly arrangement. Now they use a marked
ballot. We have vote by mail. I think the polling places actually do have
booths that you can go to fill out your ballot, but it's easiest to fill it
out in the privacy of your home, put it in the special double envelope, and
drop it in the mail or in a drop box at the polling place. Of course there
is no opportunity to check your ballot for errors. When the polls are
busiest (the day of the election), they have people out in the parking lots
with boxes and you just drive by and hand them your ballot.

Frank