 Off-Topic / Debate / *12521 (-20)
  Re: Plane crash in New York?

Please...hold off on the debate...seriously...you'll all have plenty of time later to bitch and moan and argue...why not let today be for the people who have been injured or killed? I'm very serious here. Give it a break, huh? Matt (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

(...) Those who hi-jacked the planes are a little hard to reach for the moment... And killing their leaders (along with thousands of innocent people?) won't change anything. (...) Ever heard of the Vietnam war and many other in its likeness? (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: news sources?

(...) If you have realaudio, you can connect to (URL) which is an Alberta radio network; they have a live feed from the BBC World News. James (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Plane crash in New York?

(...) How can they be? The US Government(and President Bush) wants to ensure that any reasonable action required to bring the 'extremists' responsible to justice is carried out. The 'extremists' on the other hand, have commited an act of mass (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: news sources?

I (...) (URL) A (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: news sources?

From a UK perspective: (URL) BBC site is too slow right now: (URL) A (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: news sources?

(...) I've been getting a little info from: www.thepittsburghchannel.com/ It's filtered down through the regular news veins, and will surely clog up before too long anyway, but maybe you can get some info there. There's been a 767 crash about 80 SE (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: news sources?

(...) I'm using Quicktime player to connect to BBC World. 1) Open QT Player 2) Open the Link drawer (small tab below the Play button) 3) Click BBC World DO NOT even bother clicking the ABC News link, it will just time out. ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: news sources?

(...) Try here: (URL) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  news sources?

Hey, does anyone know of any on-line news sources that aren't so congested? I'm getting only a trickle of news here. Chris (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  New Bill expands the DMCA

I just read this article on Wired.com, about a new bill to expand the DMCA: (URL) will force manufacturers to place copy protection on all electronic devices that deal with digital media. In addition, this supercedes Fair Use, and sounds to me like (...) (23 years ago, 11-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes: I agree, inasmuch as we're talking about privatization in (...) Except for, as I said, how do you incentivise the public sector to deliver value for taxpayers money? When BR knew it had the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: UK devolved government. (was Re: Harry Potter getting left out)

(...) Not in my opinion: (...) All of these were at national level, either two nations against each other or two sides vying for control of the whole nation. (...) Scottish and Welsh devolution are close, but there was no level of government (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: UK devolved government. (was Re: Harry Potter getting left out)

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message news:GJF0zu.LB6@lugnet.com... (...) I would have thought the UK has plenty of history of struggle between local, state and federal over the centuries. We've had civil wars, and the formation (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

"Mr L F Braun" <braunli1@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message news:GJGLDJ.5nz@lugnet.com... (...) You might have guessed that in the UK, airports are privatised too! www.baa.co.uk owns 7 british airports including Heathrow And also owns or manages under (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) I agree, inasmuch as we're talking about privatization in practice, not theoretical Libertarian privatization, which I would agree would function more effectively than the half-assed privatization Railtrack represents (but, I would also argue, (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

"James Simpson" <jsimpson@rice.edu> wrote in message news:GJGFrM.B60@lugnet.com... (...) Yes, I know. I used to live in Plano. It bemused my British wife and I that we had to drive 12 miles to buy liqour but that we could buy a gun in the local (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: Harry Potter getting left out

(...) In Texas we have "dry" and "wet" counties. You know when you've crossed from a dry county to a wet county because the liquor stores and, not uncommonly, the topless bars, crowd the county line. I'd wager that deaths from DWI's are higher in (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) I don't. I think it is plain wrong! From: (URL) sale of government-owned equity in nationalised industries or other commercial enterprises to private investors. The sale may either transfer all the equity to private ownership, or the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: British railway industry (was Re: UK devolved government (was Harry Potter but who remembers that?)

(...) I don't have enough information on that. I'm interested because I have a fair few friends who it affects and I've tried to follow the situation in the Economist and other places but failed. My point was as set out below - You appear to be (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact