 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2344
Re: New Dragons Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 20:04:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard W. Schamus wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
I can't find anything online yet, but my local Target had two copies of set
98001 Fire Ghost Dragon on the shelf.  It's one of a series of four sets,
judging by the pictures on the box.  The sets are numbered 98001 through 98004
and represent Fire, Water, Earth, and Tempest Ghost Dragons, respectively.  No
price was listed, and the self-scan pricechecker was offline, naturally.  Based
on the size of the box I'd say that it might be about $20.00, but that's a pure
guess.

The Fire Ghost Dragon set has 50 pieces and apparently three minifigs, as well
as a red dragon.  The only ghostish thing I can discern is that the wings are
mostly trans-red,   The set also includes a standard Dragons landform and wall
elements to build a tower.

The set numbers are a little unusual.  Most MegaBloks sets have 4-digit numbers,
with one exception being the 2003 Holiday building set, which was 99001.  Not
sure if this means that these Ghost sets are promotional; even the Ghost Dragon
set discussed here:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/clone-brands/?n=2061 here
had a 4-digit number.

Dave!

On a side note, at COSTCO, they are selling an actual chest (18"x18"x36"
{approx}) of Dragons for just under $80. The set includes 9879 (Vorgan Ice Fang)
and 9889 (Portal of Fire). I thought it was a cool promo and had the Mrs. get it
for me for my B-day (still some days away now). (I'm not allowed to touch it
till it is my B-day.)

I myself will be on the look out for the sets mentioned above... and will let
you know if I see them in the D.C. area.

Jeez, Rich--where have you been?  I haven't seen you in ot-clones in about three
years!

Thanks for the news about this set.  Do you know if the chest has its own
set-number, or is it just sold as a two-pack of the constituent sets?

Either way, the Ice Fang was impressive when I saw it on display.  Although it
doesn't seem to have a lot of utility, the ice-sculpture Dragon figurehead looks
cool.

Dave!

Where have I been...
I've been around. Did a stint working for one of the Lego stores for a little
over a year, working myself poor as an assistant manager. I felt somewhat
compelled not to post here during that period. And, then again, I didn't have
much to say, since I couldn't afford to feed myself, let alone afford "real"
Lego.

Anyway, losing that job was the best thing in the world for me. Good job now,
with a wonderful woman whom I'm marrying next year, new (to me) house to build
in, past debts all paid off, and the ability to purchase just about whatever I
want (within reason, mind you {no, I couldn't by 20 10003's at a time, at any
particular time}).

Since I've been a dragon collector (pewter, glass, ceramic, etc.) for nearly 20
years, the MB Dragons collection was too tempting to pass up for me, so I've had
my eye out for them whereever I go, (like last X-mas, just before FAO finally
closed up for good, I found the exclusive Dragon "tin" chess set that was
offered only at FAO, (at a discount mind you, because of the close out of stock
due to the closing of the store - last one available, as far as I could see, or
know about).

Now, onto the real question: the new set number.  60044, Battle Chest. It's an
actual "chest." OK, well maybe not. It's more like a small crate with a lid and
hand holes in the sides with which to carry it. The "wood" looks like it's made
from compressed fiber board (reeeeaaaly thick card board). Looking into the hand
hold holes, (say that 3 times fast), you can see several regular cardboard boxes
that hold the parts for the 2 sets.

I'll have more info for you all (if someone doesn't beat me to it) on Vet's day.
I'll finally get a chance to get into it since a) my birthday will have passed.
b) I'm off that day (paid holiday... geez I'love my new job, realy!).

C-ya!
Rich