 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 2343
Re: New Dragons Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:21:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard W. Schamus wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Dave Schuler wrote:
I can't find anything online yet, but my local Target had two copies of set
98001 Fire Ghost Dragon on the shelf.  It's one of a series of four sets,
judging by the pictures on the box.  The sets are numbered 98001 through 98004
and represent Fire, Water, Earth, and Tempest Ghost Dragons, respectively.  No
price was listed, and the self-scan pricechecker was offline, naturally.  Based
on the size of the box I'd say that it might be about $20.00, but that's a pure
guess.

The Fire Ghost Dragon set has 50 pieces and apparently three minifigs, as well
as a red dragon.  The only ghostish thing I can discern is that the wings are
mostly trans-red,   The set also includes a standard Dragons landform and wall
elements to build a tower.

The set numbers are a little unusual.  Most MegaBloks sets have 4-digit numbers,
with one exception being the 2003 Holiday building set, which was 99001.  Not
sure if this means that these Ghost sets are promotional; even the Ghost Dragon
set discussed here:
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/clone-brands/?n=2061 here
had a 4-digit number.

Dave!

On a side note, at COSTCO, they are selling an actual chest (18"x18"x36"
{approx}) of Dragons for just under $80. The set includes 9879 (Vorgan Ice Fang)
and 9889 (Portal of Fire). I thought it was a cool promo and had the Mrs. get it
for me for my B-day (still some days away now). (I'm not allowed to touch it
till it is my B-day.)

I myself will be on the look out for the sets mentioned above... and will let
you know if I see them in the D.C. area.

Jeez, Rich--where have you been?  I haven't seen you in ot-clones in about three
years!

Thanks for the news about this set.  Do you know if the chest has its own
set-number, or is it just sold as a two-pack of the constituent sets?

Either way, the Ice Fang was impressive when I saw it on display.  Although it
doesn't seem to have a lot of utility, the ice-sculpture Dragon figurehead looks
cool.

Dave!