 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1507
Re: Probuilder Toys R Us sets warning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 01:54:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Christopher J. Dean writes:
Hello everyone.  I recently purchased the Mega Bloks Probuilders NYC Fire
Engine.  I highly recommend not purchasing the set, or at least ensuring you
have all the pieces so that you are not disappointed like myself.  I went to
post a review of the set on Amazon.com, but I doubt they will post it.  Here
is my review for you to decide whether you want to both with this set.

<snip>

I bought three of these sets, two from one TRU, the other from a different
one in the California Bay Area. They all went together great, no missing
parts or anything close to that, in fact I had a bunch of extra parts. The
sets were the first arrivals in the area, so perhaps the first batch that
went out was alright.

I've already taken two of them apart to build a straight rescue pumper type
rig, but overall the set as designed is really nice. I have a few minor
issues like the taller compartment doors don't stay open, they would have
been better designed, and more prototypical if they opened sideways anyway.
Also, the rig itself isn't really based on any FDNY prototype which is
alright I think, since as a quint, you could build either a regular pumper
or ladder from the same kit. I think the ladder sections could have been
better designed, with more sections and/or a way to keep the fly section
extended when the ladder is elevated.

One really good thing with this set is that the new Stikfas action figures
are nearly to scale with it, with a little redesigning they fit right in the
apparatus. With the new Stifas firemen coming out soon, that's even better
news. They still can't use the fly section of the ladder though. Perhaps the
ladder could be redesigned as a tower ladder without a built in ladder. I'm
sure by using LEGO elements you could build a large scale Snorkel, or better
yet, a Snozzle.

I've got quite a few good ideas for building in this large scale, and my
next creation will be primarily built from elements in this set.

Jeff Christner
Sixby Fire Tech
http://members.aol.com/regult/