 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1359
Re: Megablocks Dragons: Sorcerer's Lair
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:27:16 GMT

Erik really gave us the goods in his last review of these new "Dragons"
items.  All of his observations are very thoroughly thought out and dead-on
target. And I agree that wargamers are at least part of MB's intended
audience with this line.  Interestingly, the audience that MB may have
forgotten this time is the one that actually wants to play with bricks.  I
look at these items, and while I like them very much for their own strengths
(and they are VERY cool!), I see them as a kind of betrayal of the
traditional brick line of products.  I can't really see myself mixing any of
these items with my regular brick stuff and I need another toy collectable
like I need a hole in my head (if I wanted something else to collect it
would likely be Playmobile).  I don't know -- this stuff left me with mixed
feelings in the extreme.  I can't really say whether or not I will get any
more of it.  See the MB minifigure comparison image for more on why -- a
picture speaks a thousand words, right? One thing I'd like to know is if you
actually bought all of the sets would you have a complete set of all of the
minifigures, or are some of them being held back as collectable War Chest
finds? And I don't think Erik mentioned it, but I don't find the accessories
to be very lego compatible -- I found the war axes and such to fit quite
loosely in a Lego minifigure's hand.  With all that said: I could go for a
greater variety of the stone bricks -- just to see if it would be cool to
build with these elements (absent the needed variety I get nowhere with
this).  Unlike Erik, I found that the various elements of the set to fit
well together -- so I had no internal compatibility problems within the set.
The stone bricks were maybe a little looser than one might like...maybe...

If you really wanted a Lego compatible clone toy, I'd have to suggest
looking elsewhere.  I am kinda disappointed with this line.  It's too
detailed, too painted looking...it has almost zero the look and feel of
traditional Lego or MB.

(very small construct with war chest Dragons set)
http://members.aol.com/blueofnoon4/mb/images/dragons0.jpg
(MB minifigure comparison)
http://members.aol.com/blueofnoon4/mb/images/dragons2.jpg
(war chest insert)
http://members.aol.com/blueofnoon4/mb/images/dragons1.jpg

(These images all worked a few moments ago, now AO-Hell is having dramas --
please let me know if you can't get to these).

-- Hop-Frog