 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1302
1301  |  1303
Subject:
Megablocks Dragons: Sorcerer's Lair
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 08:50:36 GMT

Rather than a review, this is a list of pros and cons of Megablocks Dragons.
I picked up the $30 Sorcerer's Lair kit at Fortress TRU, Times Square, NY.
You'll notice many of the pros are also cons.

I've made a sample diorama I call "Turned to the dark side, Qui-gon summons
the evil clone army."

PROS:

BURPs done well: 3 sizes work together
interesting baseplates interlock
rapid terraforming possibilities
2x4 brick is rounded like big stone (24x)
figures much better than usual but still weak legs
box cover is fantastic
torch flames are bi-colored like gummy worms
antiqued stone/metal texture succeeds in many places
extremely cool shields! variety of weapons. battle standards are cool.
dragon has rubberized tail
instructions come rolled up like magic scroll; adds to fantasy feeling
2x6 wood plate is sweet
sorcerer's staff is f***** awesome

CONS:

box cover is just artist's rendition, like the food pictures at restaurants
it's megablocks
only 2x4 bricks included; no 2x2 or other stone-like bricks
battlements are POOPs (plus stone chinks).
terrible, terrible "castle" design
painful to assemble
paint job not so great in some places
dragon wings hard to insert
walls are boring
walls so flimsy it's difficult to put the top on
instructions are terrible: tiny, confusing, out of order
model is hard to get exact thanks to poor instructions
instructions come in scroll; hard to use
2x4 stones look bad mixed with Lego
total lack of swords in weapon assortment is just barbaric, utterly barbaric

DON'T CARE:
catapult - works, bullets neat
electronic gizmo - haven't gotten to this

THOUGHTS
great for miniatures wargaming thanks to knights, rapid terraforming
Megablocks could do better than Playmates with LOTR; similarities!
dragon is like totally separate toy
concept freaking awesome; marvelous in details; frustratingly bad design at
set level