 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1360
Re: LEGO parts -- genuine?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:02:59 GMT

Simon,
What you have is Lego made from Cellulose Acetate (or CA). That is a kind of
plastic that Lego used until 1963. After that, they switched to ABS still in
use today.

The descriptions you use are classic CA. The color is lighter. It warps
easily. It is different kind of plastic. The mold marks are are on the side
of the bricks & much more noticable (current bricks have the mold marks on
the studs). The Lego logo is different. They used several styles of logos,
and early pre-1958 bricks actually had logos under the studs instead of on
top of them.

I know of no Lego clone that has actually put the Lego word on their bricks.
There are a few that very closely match Lego bricks, but none with LEGO.

More info can be found with a search on Lugnet for Cellulose Acetate (esp.
Gary Istok's posts). There are also a few pics in my comparison gallery
(link below).

Hope that helps,
Clark

Visit my Vintage Parts pages, submissions always welcome:

Looking for a minifig, head, or torso? Try my helper:
http://home.att.net/~clarkcorner/VisualMiniHelper.html

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Simon Gammon writes:
Whilst on the subject of Lego / not Lego, I have a question.
I have recently bought at a boot fair a bag of Lego, most appearing to
be the same era as the stuff I have from childhood, c 1970's. A fair bit
of the Lego is obviously different though. The plastic is of a poorer
standard, showing distortions and mold marks on normally perfect
surfaces. The "LEGO" embossed on the studs is present, although the font
appears to be different. The colours are slightly weaker than the
"standard" Lego and in this case are Yellow, Red and White.

The question is (finally) this. Is this genuine Lego of perhaps earlier
origin than the rest, or is it fake and if so, any clues as to its
source?

Simon Gammon   (simon@gammon.demon.co.uk)
Helensburgh, Scotland